Dr. Alida Timar-Gabor
Alida Timar-Gabor, PhD
No. 42. Treboniu Laurean Street
No. 30 Fantanele Street
Trapped charge dating methods, Solid state dosimetry,
+40 264 454554
PhD: Babes-Bolyai University, Physics, 2010
B.S.: Babes-Bolyai University, Physics, 2005
Alida Timar-Gabor pioneered the applications of absolute dating methods for sediments in
Romania and established and currently leads the Luminescence and Electron Spin Resonance
Dating Laboratories at Babes-Bolyai University. Her main research interests are in the field of
solid-state dosimetry with a focus on trapped charge dating methods and their application to
geological problems. She successfully supervised over a dozen PhD students in environmental
science so far. In 2015 she was awarded a European Research Council (ERC) starting grant
(INTERTRAP 678106). INTERTRAP successfully carried out geochronological investigations on
records of past climate change over four continents and resulted in a significant improvement in
our understanding of both the potential as well as the limitations of trapped charge dating
methods. Her current work sets out to developing novel provenance methods using ubiquitous
1. Timar-Gabor, A., Chruścińska, A., Benzid, K., Fitzsimmons, K., Begy, R., Bailey, M. 2020.
Bleaching studies on Al-hole ([AlO4/h]0) electron spin resonance (ESR) signal in sedimentary
quartz. Radiation Measurements, 130, 106221.
2. Timar-Gabor A., 2018. Electron spin resonance characterization of sedimentary quartz of
different grain sizes. Radiation Measurements, 120, 59-65.
3. Timar-Gabor, A., Buylaert, J.-P., Guralnik, B., Trandafir-Antohi, O., Constantin, D., Anechitei-
Deacu, V., Jain, M., Murray, A.S., Porat, N., Hao, Q., Wintle, A.G. 2017. On the importance of
grain size in luminescence dating using quartz. Radiation Measurements, 106, 464-471.
4. Timar-Gabor A., Wintle A.G. 2013. On natural and laboratory generated dose response
curves for quartz of different grain sizes from Romanian loess. Quaternary Geochronology,
5. Timar A., Vandenberghe D., Panaiotu E.C., Panaiotu C.G., Necula C., Cosma C., Van den
haute P. 2010. Optical dating of Romanian loess using fine-grained quartz. Quaternary
Geochronology, 5, 143-148.
2. Environmental radioactivity
1. Dating techniques for paleoclimate reconstruction
2. Dosimetry techniques for environmental studies and radiation protection concepts